Other Emergency Response Efforts
Whether it’s a natural or man-made emergency, Corpsmembers are ready to respond.
During the past few years, California’s Central Valley was hit hard by freezing winter temperatures followed by drought conditions. Both have had an impact on California agriculture and those who work in the fields. The Governor issued executive orders that the CCC provide logistical support to local food banks. Corpsmembers responded and helped with food distribution efforts in numerous communities.
In 2005, Louisiana was impacted by Hurricane Katrina then Hurricane Rita just weeks later. Receiving special permission under a mutual aid agreement to send crews out of state, the CCC dispatched 120 corpsmembers to Louisiana for several weeks of cleanup and recovery work.
Other CCC assistance has included:
- Numerous search-and-rescue efforts for missing persons
- Snow removal from roofs of public buildings
- Flood cleanup efforts in the city of Baton Rouge in October 2016
- Recovery work following the 1992 Los Angeles riots
- Logistical support during Humphrey the Whale’s 1985 appearance in the Delta