Other Emergency Response Efforts
Whether it’s a natural or man-made emergency, Corpsmembers are ready to respond.
In late 2017, CCC made its largest hurricane support effort by sending crews to Texas, Puerto Rico and St. Thomas to perform hurricane clean up. Crews removed thousands of cubic yards of flood-damaged wallboards, flooring and debris, and chopped up and removed hundreds of fallen trees. Corpsmembers also distributed food door-to-door to 685 families in Puerto Rico.
Other CCC assistance has included:
- Numerous search-and-rescue efforts for missing persons
- Snow removal from roofs of public buildings
- Flood cleanup efforts in the city of Baton Rouge in October 2016
- Logistical support to local food banks and food distribution efforts in numerous communities in the Central Valley in 2009 after freezing winter temperatures followed by severe drought conditions impacted agriculture and those who work in the fields
- Cleanup and recovery work in Louisiana in 2005 after the state was impacted by Hurricane Katrina then Hurricane Rita weeks later
- Recovery work following the 1992 Los Angeles riots
- Logistical support during Humphrey the Whale’s 1985 appearance in the Delta